Transition Metals-Amine Derivative Complexes with their Preparation, Characterization and Antimicrobial Evaluation
AbstractThis paper reports the synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial evaluation of complexes prepared from different transition metals and Schiff’s base ligand, 3-methoxy-4-hydroxyphenylmethyelene(2-hydroxyphenyl)amine synthesized from vanillin and 2-aminohpenol. The structural features of the resulting complexes and ligands were characterized by elemental analysis, magnetic susceptibility, molar conductance, Fourier Transform-Infra Red, UV-Vis (electronic spectra), and Atomic absorption spectroscopic methods. The FT-IR spectral data indicated the coordination of phenolic oxygen and azomethane nitrogen to the central metal ions. The results of electronic spectral studies and magnetic susceptibility measurements suggested an octahedral geometry for Zn(II), Ni(II), Cr(III), and Fe(III) complexes but square planar for Cu(II) complex. The ligands and their complexes were screened in-vitro for their antibacterial and antifungal activities against bacterial strains, (Escheria coli and Staphylococcus aureus) and fungal strains (Aspergillus niger and Colletotrichum gloeosporioides). The results demonstrated that the free ligand showed higher activities than the corresponding complexes in both bacteria and fungi, and comparable with the standard, suggesting the potential of the ligand for the use of antimicrobial test.
H. D. Revanasiddappa, B. Vijaya, L. Shivakumar, K. S. Prasad. Synthesis, Structural Characterization, and Antimicrobial Activity Evaluation of New Binuclear Niobium (V) Tartrate Complexes with Biologically Important Drugs. Inorganic Chemistry, 1-7, 2013.
M. N. Patel, N. H. Patel , K. N. Patel , P. P. Dholakiya, D. H. Patel. Synthesis, Characterization and Biocidal Studies of Some Transition Metal Complexes Containing Tetra Dentate and Neutral Bi Dentate Schiff Base. Journal of Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic and Metal-Organic Chemistry, 33, 1, 51-62, 2003.
El-Mossalamy, E.H., Al-Thabati, S.A., Al-Nowalser, F.M. and Al-Sulami, Q.A. , Solvent Effects on the Electronic Absorption Spectra and Dissociation Costants of Some Sulfa Drugs.Communications Faculty of Sciences University of Ankara Series B, 51, 21-30, 2005.
Li, Y., Yang, Z.S., Zhang, H., Cao, B.J. and Wang, F.D., Artemisinin Derivatives Bearing Mannich Base Group Synthesis and Antimalarial Activity. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 11, 4363-4368, 2003.
C. Duncana, A. R. White, Copper complexes as therapeutic agents. Metallomics, 4, 127-138, 2012.
S. Arulmurugan, H. P. Kavitha, B.R. Venkatraman, Biological activities of Schiff base and its complexes: A review. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry 3(3), 385-410, 2010.
J. M. Berg, and S. J. Lippard, Principles of Bioinorganic Chemistry. University Science Books, Mill Valley, CA, USA, 2004.
N.D. Durga, P N. Saveha and Kumar Shalin, Application of Metal Complexes of Schiff bases. Journal of scientific and industrial research, 68, 181-187, 2000.
G. Kumari, D. Kumari, C. Singh, A. Kumari and V. B. R., Synthesis, Physical Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of Trivalent Metal Schiff Base Complexes. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 75 (5), 629 - 637, 2010.
V. Dharmalingam, A.K. Ramasamy and V. Balasuramanian, Synthesis and EPR Studies of Copper Metal Complexes of Dyes Derived from Remazol Red B, Procino Yellow, Fast Green FCF, Brilliant Cresol Blue with Copper Acetate Monohydrate. E-Journal of Chemistry. 8, 211-224, 2011.
Li, Y, Z.S. Yang, H. Zhang, B.J. Cao and F.D. Wang, Artemisinin Derivatives Bearing Mannich Base Group: Synthesis and Antimalarial Activity. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 11, 4363-4368, 2003.
S. Kumar, D.N. Dhar and P.N. Saxena, Applications of Metal Complexes of Schiff Base. Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, 68, 181-187, 2009.
K.C. Gupta, H.K. Abdulkadir, S. Chad, Polymer Immobilized N, N’-(acac2-en) Co(II) Schiff base Complex and its catalytic Activity. Journal Applied Polymer Science, 90(50), 1398-1411, 2003.
Y. Prashanthi, S. Raj, Synthesis and Characterization of Transition Metal Complexes with N, O; N, N and S, N-donor Schifff Base Ligands. Journal of Scientometric Research, 1, 114-126, 2010.
M.M. El-ajaily, A.M. Hamil and K.M. Khalifa, Synthesis, Spectroscopic Investigation and Antibactewrial Activities of Schiff base Complexes of Co (II) and Cu (II) ions. Rasayan Journal of chemistry, 2, 261-266, 2009.
A. K. Mapari, and K. V. Mangaonkar, Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of Mixed Schiff Base Ligand Complexes of Transition Metal (II) ions. International Journal of ChemTech Research, 3 (1) 477-482, 2011.
A. Prakash, B. K. Singh, N. Bhojak, D. Adhikari, Synthesis and Characterization of Bioactive Zn (II) and Cd (II) Complexes with New Schiff Bases Derived from 4-nitrobenzaldehyde and Acetophenone with Ethylenediamine. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 76, 356, 2010.
V. H. Babu, A. V. Rao, A. More, Synthesis, Characterization and Antibacterial Activity of Binuclear Chromium (II) Complexes of New Schiff Base Ligand Derived from Amino Acids. Asian Journal of Chemistry, 31(1), 99-104, 2019.
P. Gütlich, Y. Garcia, H. A. Goodwin, Spin crossover phenomena in Fe(II) complexes, Chemical Society Reviews, 29, 419–427, 2000.
P. Mendu, J. Pragathi, B. Anupama, C. G. Kumari, Synthesis, Spectral Characterization, Molecular Modeling, and Antimicrobial Studies of Cu(II), Ni(II), Co(II), Mn(II), and Zn(II) Complexes of ONO Schiff Base, Journal of Chemistry, 9 (4) 2145-2154, 2011.
B.N. Figgis, Introduction to Ligand field, Int. science, New York, 1966.
N. Singh, A. N. Srivastava, Synthesis, Characterization and Spectral Studies of Noble Heterobinuclear Complexes of Transition Metal Ions and their Biological Activity. E-Journal of Chemistry 8(2): 809-814, 2011.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.