Students' Mathematical Problem Solving Abilities Through Realistic Mathematics Educational Approach in Elementary Schools
AbstractThe aim of this research is to analyze students’ ability in solving mathematics problems through Realistic Mathematics Educational Approach (RMEA). The subjects of this research are six Grade-5 students at State Elementary School 6 of Kutablang which were chosen through communicative indicators. The instruments used in this study are test of math problem solving and guided interview. The data obtained were then analyzed qualitatively and elaborated descriptively. The result of the study shows that four out of six students are competent in meeting the indicators in implementing and apply the correct strategies in solving the math problems. Moreover, three students were able to solve the math problems in different contexts by creating the new mathematics insights, monitoring, and reflecting the process of math problems solving. The result of this study also shows that the students used RMEA in solving math problems by comprehending the problem, deciding the right strategies to solve the problems, having background knowledge suitable to use for the current math problems they face, and at the end they were capable in concluding the ideas they have to use as a solution.
. Ahmad, M., Siregar, Y. P., and Siregar, N. A. “The effectiveness of realistic mathematics learning model based on mandailing culture in teaching of students’ mathematical problem solving ability”. in 2ndInternational Conference on Mathematics and Mathematics Education, 2018, Atlantis Press.
. Ahmad, S. (2013). Teori Belajar dan Pembelajaran di Sekolah Dasar. Jakarta: Kencana Prenada Media Group.
. Gee, E., Fauzan, A., & Atmazaki, A. (2018). “Designing learning trajectory for teaching sequence and series using RME approach to improve students’ problem solving abilities”.in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. Vol. 1088, No. 1, pp. 012096.
. Fajriyah, E., Mulyono, and Asikin. (2019). Mathematical Literacy Ability Reviewed from Cognitive Style of Students on Double Loop Problem Solving Model with RME Approach. UJMER. Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 57 – 64.
. Fitriani, K., & Maulana, M. (2016). Meningkatkan Kemampuan Pemahaman dan Pemecahan Masalah MatematisSiswa SD Kelas V melalui Pendekatan Matematika Realistik. Mimbar Sekolah Dasar, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 40-52.
. Harahap, S.R. “Development of learning device based on realistic approach to improve problem solving ability mathematic of student at junior high school”.In Procf AISTEEL, 2017, pp. 2548-4613.
. Lestari, L., and Surya, E. (2017). The Effectiveness of Realistic Mathematics Education Approach on Ability of Students’ Mathematical Concept Understanding.International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research. Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 91-100.
. Marhamah, M., Zulkardi, Z., and Aisyah, N. (2014). Pengembangan Materi Ajar Pecahan dengan Pendekatan PMRI di SD Negeri 21 Palembang. Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika. Vol. 5, No. 2.
. NCTM. (2000). Principles and Standards for School Mathematics. Reston, Virginia: NCTM.
. Sagala, S. (2012). Konsepdan Makna Pembelajaran. Bandung: Alfabeta.
. Sumarmo, U. (2010). Hand Out Mata Kuliah Evaluasi Pengajaran Matematika. UPI: Bandung
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.