Strategy of Agricultural Extension to Improve Participation of the Farmers in Special Effort in Increasing Rice Production
AbstractThe presence of the Government’s program was necessarily able to improve farmers’ participation. One of regencies considered as rice production centers and targeted to increase its production was Sukabumi Regency. Farmers in such Regency tended to focus on rice commodity, so it was no doubt on the farmers’ capability of managing their agricultural business. But, it was allegedly that the participation level of the farmers was relatively unclear as there were so many programs provided by the Government for them. This research aimed at analyzing factors influencing the farmers’ participation and the modeling of the proper strategy of agricultural extension to improve their participation in special effort to increase rice production. The research was done using survey approach in Sukabumi Regency, West Java, with the main locus located on the working area of BP3K Warung Kiaran and BP3K Jampang Kulon. Data collection was done using questionnaire and structured interview with 120 respondents on May-November, 2016. Data analysis was done descriptively and using path analysis. The findings showed that internal factor and farmers’ capabilities had direct effects on their participation in the program of improving rice production, while external factors had indirect effects though the improvement of farmers’ capabilities in such program. The effective strategy of agricultural extension to improve the farmers’ participation in the program of improving rice production was participatory counseling by attempting to increase farmers’ capabilities through intensive interaction with the counselor, provision of relevant sources of agricultural information, doing meaningful learning and learning by self-experiences.
. Adi RI. 2003. Pemberdayaan, Pengembangan Masyarakat dan Intervensi Komunitas. Jakarta (ID): Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia.
. Aminah S. Sumardjo. Lubis DP. Susanto D. 2015. Factor Affecting Peasant Empowerment in West Halmahera District – Indonesia. Journal Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics. 116(1): 1-15.
. Sadono D. Sumardjo. Gani DS. Amanah S. 2014. Farmer Empowerment in The Management of Rice Farming in Two Districts in West Java. Journal Rural Indonesia. 2(1): 105-126
. Hishiyama R. 2013. Suistanaibe Empowerment Models for Rural Pastoral Communities in Kenya. Journal Sage. 85: 432-442 [downloaded on 2016] available at: www.sciencedirect.com
. Tohidi H. Jabbari MM. 2012. The aspects of empowerment of human resources. Journal Proceed. 31: 829-833 [downloaded on July 2016] available at: www.sciencedirect.com.
. Chitnis K. 2011. Recasting the process of participatory commnunication through praxis. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of International Communication Association, 14 September 2014. New York (US).
. Hadiyanto. 2009. Desain pendekatan komunikasi partisipatif dalam pemberdayaan peternak domba rakyat. Jurnal Media Peternakan. 32(2): 145-154
. Syahyuti. 2006. 30 Konsep Penting dalam Pembangunan Pedesaan dan Pertanian. Penjelasan tentang konsep, istilah, teori dan indikator serta variabel. Jakarta (ID): Bina Rena Pariwara.
. Suharto E. 2005. Membangun masyarakat memberdayakan rakyat. Bandung (ID): PT Refika Aditama.
. Rayuddin , Tambaru Z, dan Ramli. 2010. Partisipasi Petani dalam Pembangunan Pedesaan di Kabupaten Konawe. Jurnal Penyuluhan. 6(1): 1-11. doi: http://download.portalgaruda.org/article.php?article=367985&val=222&title=Partisipasi%20Petani%20dalam%20Pembangunan%20Pedesaan%20di%20Kabupaten%20Konawe diakses tanggal 11 Mei 2016
. Lukuyu BF. Place SF. Kiptot E. 2012. Disseminating improved practices: Are Volunteer Farmer Trainers Effective. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension. 18(5).525-540. doi: 10.1080/1389224X.2012.707066.
. Kiptot E. Franzel S. 2014. Voluntarism as an investment in human, social and financial capital: Evidence from a farmer-to-farmer extension program in Kenya. Journal Agriculture and Human Values. 31(2):231-243. Doi: 10.1007/s10460-013-9463-5
. Ministry of Agriculture. 2016. Hasil Musrenbang Nasional. Jakarta (ID): Setjen Kementan.
. Ndraha T. 1990. Pembangunan Masyarakat. Jakarta (ID): Rineka Cipta.
. Zimmerman MA, Rappaport J. 1995. Citizen Participation, Perceived Control and Psychological Empowernment, in American Journal of Community Psychology. 23(5).
. Slamet M. 2003. Meningkatkan Pertisipasi Masyarakat dalam Pembangunan Perdesaan. Di dalam: Sudrajad dan Yustina, editor. Membentuk Pola Prilaku Manusia Pembangunan. Bogor (ID): IPB Press.
. National Development Planning Agency. 2003. Community Empowerment Program. Jakarta (ID): National Development Planning Agency.
. Sugiyono. 2006. Statistika Untuk Penelitian, Seventh Print. Bandung (ID): CV. Alfabeta.
. Sarwono. 2006. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif dan Kualitatif. Yogyakarta (ID): Graha Ilmu
. Sudjana. 2003. Teknik Analisis Regresi dan Korelasi. Bandung (ID): Tarsito.
. Purbayu BS dan Ashari. 2005. Analisis Statistik dengan Microsoft Excel dan SPSS. Yogyakarta (ID): Andi Offset.
. Havighurst R J. 1974. Development Tasks and Education. Third Edition. David McKay Company, Inc. New York
. Slamet M. 1992. Perspektif Ilmu Penyuluhan Pembangunan Menyongsong Era Tinggal Landas dalam Penyuluhan Pembangunan di Indonesia: Menyongsong Abad XXI. Diedit oleh Aida Vitayala Sjafri Hubeis, Prabowo Tjitropranoto, dan Wahyudi Ruwiyanto. Jakarta (ID): PT Pustaka Pembangunan Swadaya Nusantara.
. Berlian M. 2014. Peran Penyuluh Pertanian Lapangan dan Partisipasi Petani dalam Program Feati Serta Pengaruhnya terhadap Pendapatan Petani di Kecamatan Banyuasin III Kabupaten Banyuasin. Palembang (ID): Agribusiness of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UPBJJ-UT.
. Syahyuti. 2014. Peran Strategis Penyuluh Swadaya dalam Paradigma Baru Penyuluhan Pertanian Indonesia. Agro Economic Forum. 32(1).43-58. DOI: http://pse.litbang.pertanian.go.id/ind/pdffiles/FAE32-1c.pdf
Adjid, D.A., H. Suwardi, dan M.G. Tan. 1979. Evaluasi Pelaksanaan Intensifikasi Padi dan Palawija Tahun 1971−1978. Farmers Participation Research Report. Cooperation between Community Guidance Coordinating Board and Padjadjaran University, Bandung.
. Warsito, R. 1977. Latar belakang petani dan tuntutan partisipasi. Horizon of Social Research Magazine, Institute for Social Sciences Research Satya Wacana, No. 1 Year X: 44−64
. Toisuta, W. 1977. Menggalang partisipasi guru dan masyarakat dalam rangka mensukseskan usaha-usaha Pembaharuan Pendidikan. Horizon of Social Research Magazine, Institute for Social Sciences Research Satya Wacana, No. 1 Year X: 5−15.
. Kasryno, F., E. Pasandaran, P. Simatupang, Erwidodo, and T. Sudaryanto. 2001. page l1−31 in I W. Rusastra, P.U. Hadi, A.R. Nurmanaf, E. Jamal and A. Syam (Ed.). Membangun kembali sektor pertanian dan kehutanan. Prosiding Perspektif Pertanian dan Kehutanan Tahun 2001 ke Depan. Center for Agricultural Socio Economic Research and Development, Bogor.
. Adjid, D.A. 1985. Pola Partisipasi Masyarakat Pedesaan dalam Pembangunan Pertanian Berencana. Kasus Usaha Tani Berkelompok Sehamparan dalam Intensifikasi Khusus (Insus) Padi. Suatu Survei di Jawa Barat. Dissertation of Faculty of Agriculture, Padjadjaran University, Bandung.
. Soewardi, H. 1980. Kebangkitan Kelompok Tani Jawaban terhadap Masalah Penyambung Kelembagaan Masyarakat Nasional dan Masyarakat Desa Tradisional dalam Rangka Penerobosan “Stagnasi” Pembangunan Pertanian. Oration of Professor in Rural Sociology at Padjadjaran University
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.