Exploring Nurses’ Experiences in Providing Care during the Covid-19 Pandemic at Community Health Care in Jayapura Papua
AbstractCOVID-19 is a highly contagious and dangerous respiratory tract infection and is a worldwide phenomenon today. Healthcare workers, especially nurses, have valuable experiences about providing care during the Covid-19 pandemic as their positions are in the frontline of health facilities in community health care. The aim of this study was to explore nurses’ experiences in community health care during the Covid-19 pandemic. This is a qualitative study using a descriptive approach. Six nurses who were working in community health care were selected using purposive sampling. The data were collected through telephone and video call interviews and analysed based on Colaizzi’s seven-step method. Qualitative analysis of the data revealed three themes and six sub themes. The intensive work and the infection issue of Covid-19 drained nurses physically and emotionally. Comprehensive support should be provided to safeguard the wellbeing of the nurses. Intensive training for all health care providers, especially nurses, is necessary to promote preparedness and efficacy during the pandemic.
. World Health Organisation. (2020). WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard. Retrieved from https://covid19.who.int/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiwAbcVIL_hto3W51OEBQO0ZqTgdu-vOyAr43-IFJBmOmzSMFPJkE5GCB23fDRoCKXwQAvD_BwE. [Dec. 10,2020]
. Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Info Infeksi Emerging Kementerian Kesehatan RI [Internet]. Jakarta, ID: Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia;. Available from: https://www.kemkes.go.id/article/view/20033100001/peta-persebaran-covid-19-di-indonesia.html [Dec. 15,2020]
. Sun, N., Wei, L., Shi, S., Jiao, D., Song, R., Ma, L., ... & Wang, H. (2020). “A qualitative study on the psychological experience of caregivers of COVID-19 patients”. American Journal of Infection Control, 48(6), 592-598.
. Liu, Q., Luo, D., Haase, J. E., Guo, Q., Wang, X. Q., Liu, S., ... & Yang, B. X. (2020). “The experiences of health-care providers during the COVID-19 crisis in China: a qualitative study”. The Lancet Global Health, 8(6), e790-e798.
. Kim, Y. (2018). “Nurses' experiences of care for patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome-coronavirus in South Korea”. American Journal of Infection Control, 46(7), 781-787.
. Morrow, R., Rodriguez, A., & King, N. (2015). “Colaizzi’s descriptive phenomenological method”. The Psychologist, 28(8), 643-644.
. Handayani, R. T., Suminanto, S., Darmayanti, A. T., Widiyanto, A., & Atmojo, J. T. (2020). “Conditions and strategy for anxiety in health workers at pandemic covid-19”. Jurnal Ilmu Keperawatan Jiwa, 3(3), 365-374.
. Pickersgill, M. (2020). “Pandemic Sociology”. Engaging Science, Technology, and Society, 6, 347-350.
. Agung, I. M. (2020). “Memahami pandemi covid-19 dalam perspektif psikologi sosial”. Psikobuletin: Buletin Ilmiah Psikologi, 1(2), 68-84.
. Ilpaj, S. M., & Nurwati, N. (2020). “Analisis pengaruh tingkat kematian akibat covid-19 terhadap kesehatan mental masyarakat di Indonesia”. Focus: Jurnal Pekerjaan Sosial, 3 (1), 16-28.
. Hartono, B., Hidayati, A., & Kurniati, T. (2020). “The effect of heads’leadership and nurses’job motivation on nursing performance in the hospital inpatient room”. Jurnal Administrasi Kesehatan Indonesia, 8(2).
. Brooks, S., Amlôt, R., Rubin, G. J., & Greenberg, N. (2020). “Psychological resilience and post-traumatic growth in disaster-exposed organisations: overview of the literature”. BMJ Military Health, 166 (1), 52-56.
. Wati, N. M. N., Lestari, N. K. Y., Jayanti, D. M. A. D., & Sudarma, N. (2020). “Optimalisasi penggunaan alat perlindungan diri (APD) pada masyarakat dalam rangka mencegah penularan virus covid-19”. Jurnal Empathy. com, 1 (1), 1-8.
. Purba, C. F. (2020). Pengaruh Alat Pelindung Diri (APD) Terhadap Penyakit Akibat Kerja Pada Perawat.
Wang, J., Zhou, M., & Liu, F. (2020). “Reasons for health care workers becoming infected with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China”. Journal of Hospital Infection, 105 (1), 100-101.
, McGarry, B. E., Grabowski, D. C., & Barnett, M. L. (2020). “Severe staffing and personal protective equipment shortages faced by nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic: study examines staffing and personal protective equipment shortages faced by nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic”. Health Affairs, 39(10), 1812-1821.
. Krisnawati, M., Pitaloka, J., & Jullyandri, A. (2020). “Resiko dan upaya pencegahan pandemi covid-19 bagi masyarakat RSPAU Dr. S. Hardjolukito”. Abdimas Madani, 2(2), 45-50.
. Catton, H. (2020). “Nursing in the COVID‐19 pandemic and beyond: protecting, saving, supporting and honouring nurses”. International Nursing Review, 67( 2), 157-159.
. Ardebili, M. E., Naserbakht, M., Bernstein, C., Alazmani-Noodeh, F., Hakimi, H., & Ranjbar, H. (2020). “Healthcare providers experience of working during the COVID-19 pandemic: A qualitative study”. American Journal of Infection Control, [On-line], pp. 1-8. Available: https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(20)30896-8/pdf. [Jan. 15, 2021]
. Seran, R. “Strategi Pemerintah Republik Indonesia dalam Penanganan Masalah Pelintas Batas Indonesia-Timor Leste “. Doctoral dissertation, Universitas Airlangga, Indonesia, 2018.
. Nyashanu, M., Pfende, F., & Ekpenyong, M. (2020). “Exploring the challenges faced by frontline workers in health and social care amid the COVID-19 pandemic: experiences of frontline workers in the English Midlands region, UK”. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 34 (5), 655-661.
. Buana, D. R. (2020). “Analisis perilaku masyarakat indonesia dalam menghadapi pandemi virus corona (Covid-19) dan kiat menjaga kesejahteraan jiwa”. Salam: Jurnal Sosial dan Budaya Syar-i, 7(3), 217-226.
. Silalahi, D. E., & Ginting, R. R. (2020). “Strategi kebijakan fiskal pemerintah Indonesia untuk mengatur penerimaan dan pengeluaran negara dalam menghadapi pandemi covid-19”. Jesya (Jurnal Ekonomi dan Ekonomi Syariah), 3(2), 156-167
Copyright (c) 2021 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.