Teaching Translation and Interpreting by Splitting Them into Types: Analysis of the Processes and Principles
AbstractThis article examines the types of translation and interpreting and discusses their teaching through their major categories, and modalities. The study tries to show their utility or arbitrariness regarding their classification by types. The development of these themes has a goal which is to show their survival as divisions of specializations and their integration into new forms. The findings reveal the neutrality of the splitting and the non-dividing of these types and underline the fact that these traditional classifications are still in use supported by the linguistic and non-linguistic theory of translation. The conclusion suggests some solutions such as the non-classification of the two domains of study into types. The emergence of e-technology generation and the online fast programs lead to the degradation of the classifications and their replacement by new methods and programs of specialization courses. It forwards a method for the accomplishment of the roles of these types.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2004, Oct.). Arabic, English & French Lexicography. Khartoum: Afro-Tayeb, p. 09.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2005, Jun.). Recueil des commentaires du Saint Coran, de Yassin à la partie 30, Khartoum: Judiciary Printing Press, S. No.: 39, P. 50.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2005, Sept.), Methodology of Research: How to Write a University Research, the Judiciary Printing House. Khartoum. 135/2012, p. 39.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2018, Jul.). Theories, Categories, and processes of Translation, Khartoum. ISBN 978-99942-869-9-7, P. 61.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2019). Simultaneous Interpreting of the Figures of Speech: Problems and Solutions, International Journal on Studies in English Language and Literature (IJSELL). No. 7, Issue (3). January (2019). PP 1-10. ISSN 2347-3134 [Online] Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.20431/2347-3134.0703001.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2020, Aug.). Translating the Ant's, the Hoopoe's and the Beast's Speeches: Arabic/English/French, Concerning Chapter 27 of the Holy Qur'an. AWEJ for Translation & . AWEJ for Translation & Literary Studies, Volume 4, Number3. August 2020. DOI: 9
. Adam Hamid, A. (2020, Jul.). British Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (BJHSS) Sight Translating Public Services Linguistic Components English/French/Arabic A Descriptive Process with Reference to Health, Legal and Finance Fields (BHSS). No. 24 (1). July (2020). (pp. 28-41). 2048-1268. [Online] Available: http://www.ajournal.co.uk/HSArticles24(1).htm. Hale, S. 2007. Community Interpreting. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. 10.1057/9780230593442. Literary Studies (AWEJtls), Volume4, Number 3. August 2020. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.24093/awejtls/vol4no3.4, pp. 28-41.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2020, Sept.). Chuchotage and Interpreting: A Comparative Analysis of Characteristics and Roles. Journal of Critical Review. [Online] Available: (JCR). 2020, Volume: 7, Issue: 12., pp. 4344-4351. DOI: 10.31838/jcr.07.12.622.URL: http://www.jcreview.com/index.php?iid=2020-7-12.000&&jid=197&lng=, pp. 4344-4351.
. Adam Hamid, A. (2020, Nov.). “The Use of the Traditional Tools in Consecutive Interpreting: Advantages and Disadvantages.” International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature. ISSN 2200-3592 (Print), ISSN 2200-3452 [Online] Vol. IX No. VI.
. Cambridge Online Dictionary: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/arbitrarily.
. Catford, J. C. (1965). A Linguistic Theory of Translation. Oxford: OUP, p 4.
. Hamidi, Miam and FranzPöchhacker. (2007). "Simultaneous consecutive interpreting: A new technique put to the test." Meta: Journal des traducteurs52(2). 10.7202/016070ar, pp. 276–289.
. Herbert, Jean. (1952). Manuel de l'interprète: Comment on devient interprète de conférences. Geneva: Libraire de l'Université, p. 56.
. Hof, Michelle. (2011, Aug.). "Of notepads and writing utensils." Retrieved fromtheinterpreterdiaries.com/2011/11/03/of-notepads-and-writing-utensils/. Last accessed19 August 2018. P. 19.
. Kocourek, R. (1982). La langue française de la technique et de la science, Brandstetter Verlag, Wiesbaden.
. Lambert, S. (1989). Une approche cognitive à formation d'interprètes. 24-4 P. 736-744. Google Scholar.
. Lambert, S. (2004). Shared Attention during Sight Translation, Sight Interpretation and Simultaneous Interpretation. META. Vol. 49. No. 2. Juin 2004. P294-306. Presse de l'Université Montréal: Canda.
. Mounin, G. (1963). Les problèmes théoriques de la traduction.: Gallimard, bibliothèques des idées: Paris, France
. Newmark, P. (1986). New Approaches to translation. London, UK: Prentice Hall. P. 5.
. Nida, E. A. (1945). Linguistics and ethnology in translation problems. World. Vol. 1: Pp 194-208.
. Nolan James, (2005), Interpretation, Techniques & Exercises, Cromewell Press, ISBEN: 1-85359-79-0ROZAN. P 45.
. Rozan, J-F. (1956) La Prise de Notes en Interprétation Consécutive, ISBN 2-8257-0053-3. P. 33.
. Savory, T. H. (1986). The Art of Translation. p. 56.
. Seleskovitch, D. (1975). Langage, langues et mémoire, Introduction de Jean Monnet, Paris : Minard Lettres Modernes.
. Seleskovitch, D. (1968). Interpreting for International Conferences – Problems of Language and Communication, Washington DC, Pen and Booth (first published in French as L’Interprète dans les conférences internationales –Problèmes de langage et de communication; Translation by Dailey, S. & E.N. McMillan, (1978). P. 22.
. Vinay J. P., et Darbelnet J. (1968). Comparative Styles of French and English Languages, Didier, Paris. P.75-87.
. Vivas, J. (2003). "Simultaneous consecutive: Report on the comparison session of June 11, (2003)." SCIC B4/JV D2003, Brussels, European Commission, Joint Interpreting, and Conference Service.
Copyright (c) 2021 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.