Ground State Energy of the Helium Using Variational Methods on Trial Wave Functions
AbstractHelium is a quantum system that has two electrons and one proton, the calculation of the ground state energy of helium has been done by variational method, the advantages of variational method is that it can be performed flexible selection of wave function. The objective of this study is to calculate the ground state energy of helium by using variational methods on the new wave function. From the research results obtained the ground state energy of helium equal to -77.333 eV. The result of this calculation is close to the experimental value.
. A. B. Suleiman , A. Usman , Ionization energy of Screened Helium by Variational quantum Monte carlo Method, International Journal Of Science and Nature, Vol. 4(2) , p. 311-315, 2013.
. Sulaiman, I.O.B. Ewa, Variational quantum monte carlo of the ground state energy of hydrogen molecul, BAJOPAS. 3.1, p. 112-117, 2010.
. R. Shankar, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, Second Editions, Yale University, New Haven Connecticut Springer, 1994.
. D. Part, Introduction to Quantum Theory, third Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc 1992.
. D.J. Griffith, Introduction to Quantum Mechanic, Secon Edition, Person Prentice Hall, 1992.
. Esposito, Naddeo, Majorana Solutions to the Two Electron Problem, Found Phys, Springer, Vol.42, pp.1586-1608, 2012.
. A. Banerjee, C. Kamal, A. Chowdhury, Calculation of Ground and Excited State Energies of Confined Helium Atom, Physics Latters A 350 , pp. 121-125, 2006.
. J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics Revised Edition, Addison Wesley Publishing Company, New York, England, Amsterdam, Sydney, Singapore, 1994.
. H. E.Montgomery, N. Aquino, A.F. Riveros, The Ground State energy of a Helium Atom Under Strong Confinement, Physics Latters A 374 , pp.2044-2047, 2010.
. A. S. Davydov, Quantum Mechanics, Second Edition, Pergamon Press, Oxford New York, Toronto, 1973.
. A. F. Riveros, N. Aquino, H. E. Montgomery, Spherically Compressed Helium Atom Described by Perturbative and Variational Methods, Physics Letters A ELSEVIER, 374, pp. 1246-1252, 2010.
. S. B.Doma, F.N. El Gamma, Application of the Variational Monte Carlo Method to the Two-Electron Atom, Journal Applied Mathematics and Information Science, An International Journal, 5(1), pp. 20-33, 2010.
. P.Atkins, R. Friedman, Molecular Quantum Mechanics, Fourth Edition, Oxford University Press, 2005.
. G.W.F. Drake, Z. C. Yan, Variational Eigenvalues for the S State of Helium, Chemical Physics Letters 229, p. 486-490, August 1994.
. J. S.Sims, S. A. Hagstrom, High Precision Hy-CI Variational Calculations for the Ground State of Neutral Helium and Helium-Like Ions, International Journal Quantum Chemistry, Vol 90, p.1600-1609, April 2002.
. C. Amovilli , N.H. March, L.A.Howand, A. Nagy, Exact Hamiltonian for an Analytic Correlated Ground State Wave Function for He-Like Ions, Physics Letters A, ELSEVIER, 372, pp. 4053-4056, Maret 2008.
. S .Bhattacharyya, A. Bhattacharyya, B. Taludar and N.C Deb, Analytical Approach to the Helium Atom Ground State using Correlated Wave Functions, J. Phys.B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 29, pp. L147-L150. 1996.
. S.E.Koonin, D.C.Meredith, Computational Physics Fortran Version, Addison Wesley Publishing Company, 1985.
. C. Schwartz, Ground State of the Helium Atom, Physical Review, Vol. 128, No.3, Nov 1962.
. E. Buendia, F.J. Galvez, P.Maldonado, A.Sarsa, Explicitly Correlated Wave Functions for Atoms and Single Charged Ions from Li through Sr: Variational and Diffusion Monte Carlo Results, Chemical Physics Letters, 615, p. 21-25, October 2014.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.