The DevOps Goes to the Embedded System
AbstractLately, DevOps has been widely discussed in various papers, in addition the industry has implemented it to be a solution for developing and distributing software for general purposes. However, the application of DevOps to embedded systems is still quite difficult, and there is still lack of paper to discuss it. The purpose of this study is to explore the DevOps approach in developing embedded systems. The method used in this research is to use the Object-Oriented Software Engineering approach. Various tools used to support the development of embedded systems include Visual Paradigm, Quantum Modeling. The results explain that DevOps can be applied in the development of embeded systems through Forward and Reverse Engineering. Forward engineering includes analysis, design of the class, design of the state machine, design of coding, generate code, uploading some codes into board. While reverse engineering is reverse from forward engineering. However, the applying of DevOps is not still one stop services. It is signed by the displacement of tools when doing state-machine design, there is a shift in the use of tools, from the visual paradigm to quantum modeling.
. A. Robert, T ; Masters, William ;Stark, “Teaching Agile Development with DevOps in a Software Engineering and Database Technologies Practicum,” in 3rd International Conference on Higher Education Advances, 2017, pp. 1353–1362.
. M. Darbari and H. Ahmed, “Software Engineering Practices in Embedded System Design Using Discrete Modeling Techniques,” Proc. World Congr. Eng. 2010. London, U.K, vol. I, 2010.
. B. Graaf, M. Lormans, and H. Toetenel, “Embedded Software Engineering: The State of the Practice,” IEEE Software, vol. 20, no. 6. pp. 61–69, Nov-2003.
. Louis Leo, “WORKING PRINCIPLE OF ARDUINO AND USING IT AS A TOOL FOR STUDY AND RESEARCH,” Int. J. Control. Autom. Commun. Syst., vol. 1, no. 2, 2018.
. L. Hatton, “Embedded software testing,” 2010.
. L. E. Lwakatare et al., “Towards DevOps in the embedded systems domain: Why is it so hard?,” in Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2016, vol. 2016-March, pp. 5437–5446.
. F. M. A. Erich, C. Amrit, and M. Daneva, “A qualitative study of DevOps usage in practice,” in Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, 2017, vol. 29, no. 6.
. L. BANICA, M. RADULESCU, D. ROSCA, and A. HAGIU, “Is DevOps another Project Management Methodology?,” Inform. Econ., vol. 21, no. 3/2017, pp. 39–51, 2017.
. P. Raj and P. Sinha, “Project Management In Era Of Agile And Devops Methodlogies,” Int. J. Sci. Technol. Res., vol. 9, p. 1, 2020.
. A. Taryana, I. Setiawan, A. Fadli, and E. Murdyantoro, “Pioneering the automation of lnternal quality assurance system of higher education (IQAS-HE) using DevOps approach,” in Proceedings - 2017 International Conference on Sustainable Information Engineering and Technology, SIET 2017, 2017, pp. 259–264.
. P. E. Wijaya, I. Rosyadi, and A. Taryana, “An attempt to adopt DevOps on embedded system development: Empirical evidence,” in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2019, vol. 1367, no. 1.
. J. F. Pérez, W. Wang, and G. Casale, “Towards a DevOps approach for software quality engineering,” in WOSP-C 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 ACM/SPEC Workshop on Challenges in Performance Methods for Software Development, in Conjunction with ICPE 2015, 2015, pp. 5–10.
. J. Wettinger, U. Breitenbücher, and F. Leymann, “DevOpSlang - Bridging the gap between development and operations,” Lect. Notes Comput. Sci. (including Subser. Lect. Notes Artif. Intell. Lect. Notes Bioinformatics), vol. 8745 LNCS, pp. 108–122, 2014.
. “Modern Embedded Software,” 2020. [Online]. Available: www.state-machine.com. [Accessed: 01-Jun-2020].
. F. SoleimanianGharehchopogh, S. Jodati Gourabi, and I. Maleki, “Object Oriented Software Engineering Models in Software Industry,” Int. J. Comput. Appl., vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 13–16, 2014.
. I. D. Baxter and M. Mehlich, “Reverse engineering is reverse forward engineering,” Sci. Comput. Program., vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 131–147, 2000.
. C. Baidada, E. M. Bouziane, and A. Jakimi, “An Analysis and New Methodology for Reverse Engineering of UML Behavioral,” Int. J. Adv. Eng. Manag. Sci., vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 1012–1016, 2016.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.