Correlation between the Severity of Dental Caries and Nutritional Status of in-School-Age Children of SD Negeri Tidung Makassar
AbstractDental caries is a major problem of oral health and a common chronic disease which happens in childhood. School age children are nation’s future generation and capital development. Therefore, the health condition of school-age children must be improved. One of the health effort is by improving nutrition in elementary school-age children. Nutritional status and nutrient intake are important for oral and dental health because nutrition such as vitamin A and D, calcium, phosphorus, fluoride have effects on morphology, composisiton and tooth eruption patterns. These factors will determine the susceptibility of teeth to dental caries. The aim of this study was to determine correlation between the severity of dental caries and nutritional status of in-school-age children of SD Negeri Tidung. This study was a descriptive observational study with a cross-sectional design and involved 189 samples with a simple random sampling method. The severity of dental caries was measured by Decayed Missing Filling-Teeth index and nutritional status was measured using the anthropometric standard of Indonesian Ministry of Health. The result of this study is “normal” nutritional status has the highest percentage of 64% or as many as 121 samples. While the severity of dental caries “very severe” has the highest percentage of 24.3% or as many as 46 samples. From the results of statistical test using Sperman’s RHO test, shows that R-value was -0.074 and p-value was 0.312 which means that there was no significant correlation between dental caries severity and nutritional status in students of SD Negeri Tidung Makassar, both boys, girls, and overall students.
. Supariasa, I., B. Bakri, and I. Fajar, Penilaian Status Gizi Edisi Revisi. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku Kedokteran ECG, 2012.
. Rsikesdas, Riset kesehatan dasar (Riskesdas) 2013. Lap Nas, 2013. 2013(1): p. 384.
. Yen, C. and S. Hu, Association between dental caries and obesity in preschool children. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 2013. 14(3): p. 185-9.
. Arrow, P., J. Raheb, and M. Miller, Brief oral health promotion intervention among parents of young children to reduce early childhood dental decay. BMC public health, 2013. 13(1): p. 245.
. Parkar, S.M. and M. Chokshi, Exploring the association between dental caries and body mass index in public school children of Ahmedabad city, Gujarat. SRM Journal of Research in Dental Sciences, 2013. 4(3): p. 101.
. Menkes RI, Keputusan Menteri Kesehatan RI: Standar Antropometri Penilaian Status Gizi Anak. 2011, Jakarta.
. Klein, H., C.E. Palmer, and J.W. Knutson, Studies on dental caries: I. Dental status and dental needs of elementary school children. Public Health Reports (1896-1970), 1938: p. 751-765.
. Wawointana, I.P., A. Umboh, and P.N. Gunawan, Hubungan konsumsi jajanan dan status karies gigi siswa di SMP NEGERI 1 Tareran. e-GIGI, 2016. 4(1).
. Ramayanti, S. and I. Purnakarya, Peran makanan terhadap kejadian karies gigi. Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat Andalas, 2013. 7(2): p. 89-93.
. Swaminathan, K., et al., Correlation Between Body Mass Index and Dental Caries Among Three-to 12-Year-Old Schoolchildren in India: A Cross-Sectional Study. Cureus, 2019. 11(8).
. Willerhausen, B., et al., Association between body mass index and dental health in 1,290 children of elementary schools in a German city. Clinical oral investigations, 2007. 11(3): p. 195-200.
. Batista, L.R.V., E.A.M. Moreira, and A.C.T. Corso, Food, nutritional status and oral condition of the child. Revista de Nutrição, 2007. 20(2): p. 191-196.
. Muliadi, Peranan Gizi yang Berkualitas dalam Mencegah Malnutrisi pada Anak Sekolah Dasar. Jurnal Samudra UNM, 2007.
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.