Prediction of Corrosion Inhibition Efficiency of Acalypha godseffiana leaves Extracts
AbstractAs a follow up on our previous studies (Mathematical Modelling of Corrosion Inhibition Efficiency of Acalypha Wilkesiana Leaves) Acalypha godseffiana leaves were collected at Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo. Cleaned leaves were subjected to sun-dry and air-dry processes. Sun-dried and air-dried leaves were powdered, sieved and stored in desiccators at room temperature. A known mass of the powdered leaves was soaked in ethanol in different containers for 72 hours to obtain inhibitor extracts. Extracts were used as inhibitor for mild steel of known composition. Weight loss, inhibition efficiency (IE) and corrosion rate were studied using standard methods. Models that relate concentration of inhibitor, temperature to IE were proposed, established and evaluated using statistical methods. . The inhibition efficiency increases with increasing extracts concentration to 88.43 % and 88.37 % at 333K of 1.0 g/l of extracts for the air and sun-dried extracts, respectively. CD, MSC, AIC and SC were in the range of 0.8794 to 0.9790, 2.1 to 4.1, 67.3 to 104.8 and 73.1 to 101.8 for both air and sun dried extracts.The table revealed that the best models for sun and air dried extracts were linear with interaction with MSC (3.6 and 4.1), AIC (73.1 and 64.3) and SC (76.1 and 67.3), respectively. The worst models for sun and air dried extracts were log-linear without interactions and non- linear without interaction with MSC (2.1 and 2.9) , AIC (101.8 and 86.6) , SC (104.8 and 89.6), respectively. The cost analysis revealed that it is economical to utilise plant leaves extract. It was concluded that these two extracts of the present study can serve as effective green corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in acidic media and further investigations to assess the corrosion morphology and to isolate and confirm the active phytochemicals responsible for the inhibition of mild steel corrosion in acidic media are required.
Anees, A. K,., Ahmed, N. A. and Nagham, A. A. (2018). Xanthium strumarium leaves extracts as a friendly corrosion inhibitor of low carbon steel in hydrochloric acid: Kinetics and mathematical studies. South African Journal of Chemical Engineering 25, 13 - 21
Finšgar, M and Jackson, J (2014) Application of corrosion inhibitors for steels in acidic media for the oil and gas industry: A review / Corrosion Science 86 (2014) 17–41
Karthik, G and Sundaravadivelu, M. (2016). Studies on the inhibition of mild steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution by atenolol drug. Egyptian Journal of Petroleum (2016) 25, 183–191
Obi-Egbedi, N.O. Obot, I.B and Umoren, S.A (2012). Spondias mombin L. as a green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in sulphuric acid: Correlation between inhibitive effect and electronic properties of extracts major constituents using density functional theory. Arabian Journal of Chemistry . 5, 361–373.
Al-Otaibi,M.S. ,A.M. Al-Mayouf, M. Khan, A.A. Mousa, S.A. Al-Mazroa and H.Z. Alkhathlan (2014). Corrosion inhibitory action of some plant extracts on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 7, 340–346.
Yaro, A.S., Khadom, A.A., and Wael, R.K., (2014). Garlic powder as a safe environment green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic media; adsorption and quantum chemical studies. J. Chin. Chem. Soc. 61, 615 - 623.
Yaro, A.S., Khadom, A.A., and Wael, R.K., 2013. Apricot juice as green corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in phosphoric acid. Alexandria Eng. J. 52, 129 – 135
Khadom, A.A., and Abdul-Hadi, A.A., (2014). Kinetic and mathematical approaches to the corrosion of mild steel in nitric acid. Reac. Kinet. Mech. Cat. 112, 15 - 26.
Sanjay, K.S., Peter, A., and Obot, I. B., (2015). Potential of Azadirachta indica as a green corrosion inhibitor against mild steel, aluminum, and tin: a review. J. Anal. Sci. Technol. 6, 26 - 33.
Alaneme, K.K., Daramola, Y.S., Olusegun, S.J., Afolabi, A.S., (2015). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption characteristics of rice husk extracts on mild steel immersed in 1M H2SO4 and HCl solutions. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 10, 3553 - 3567
Khadom, A.A., Hassan, A.F., and Abod, B.M., (2015). Evaluation of environmentally friendly inhibitor for galvanic corrosion of steelecopper couple in petroleum waste water. Process Saf. Environ. Prot. 98, 93 – 101
Ghulamullah, K., Kazi M. S., Newaz, W. J., Basirun, H. B., Mohd, A., F. Lafta, F., G. and Mustafa, K., (2015). Application of natural product extracts as green corrosion inhibitors for metals and alloys in acid pickling processes e a review. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 10, 6120 – 6134
Hassan, K.H., Khadom, A.A., and Kurshed, N.H., (2016). Citrus aurantium leaves extracts as a sustainable corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in sulfuric acid. South Afr. J. Chem. Eng. 22, 1 – 5
Fouda, A.S., Megahed, H.E., Fouad, N., Elbahrawi, N.M., (2016). Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in 1 M hydrochloric acid solution by aqueous extract of Thevetia peruviana. J. Bio Tribo Corros. 2, 16 - 22.
Nathiya, R.S., and Vairamuthu, R., (2017). Evaluation of Dryopteris cochleata leaf extracts as green inhibitor for corrosion of aluminium in 1 M H2SO4. Egypt. J. Petroleum 26, 313 – 323
APHA, Standard Method for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st edn, America Water Works Association and Water Pollution Control Federation, Washington DC. 2012
van Loosdrecht, M.C.M., Nielsen, P.H.,Lopez-Vazquez, C.M., Brdjanovic, D., (2016). Experimental Methods in Wastewater Treatment. 1st Edition, International Water Publishing Alliance House, London
Oke, I. A. ; Ismail, A. ; Lukman, S. ; S. O. Ojo, O. O. Adeosun, and M. O. Nwude (2016). Economics and Statistical Evaluations of Using Microsoft Excel Solver in Pipe Network Analysis. J. Pipeline Syst. Eng. 7(4): 06016002-1- 9
Oke, I. A.; Lukman, S. and Ismail, A(2017). Development And Performance Evaluation Of A New Numerical Model For Groundwater Recharge Estimation. Nigeria Journal of Engineering , 23(2), 56 -65
Barati, R (2013) Application of Excel Solver for Parameter Estimation of the Nonlinear Muskingum Models. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 17(5):1139-1148
Tay, K. G; Kek, S. L. and Rosmila A. K. (2014). Solving Non-Linear Systems by Newton’s Method Using Spreadsheet Excel.
Hui, Z., Xue, Z., Luobin W., Kai, W. and Wendong, W. (2018) Development of a software tool for teaching real‐time state simulation of water distribution networks, Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 26 (3), 577-588.
Akaike, H. An information criterion (AIC), Math. Sci. Vol. 14,1976 , pp 1-5.
Umoren, S.A., U.M. Eduok, M.M. Solomon, and A.P. Udoh (2016). Corrosion inhibition by leaves and stem extracts of Sida acuta for mild steel in 1 M H2SO4 solutions investigated by chemical and spectroscopic techniques. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 9, S209 – S224
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.