Vitamin E Potential in Extract of Anchovy Engraulis encrasicolus through the Increase on Gene Expression of Adiponectin in Diabetes Mellitus
AbstractAnchovy Engraulis encrasicolus is one of the marine resources that incredibly abundance in Indonesian waters, particularly in Southeast Province. Fish oil or Omega-3 (n-3 PUFA) in anchovy fish has essential roles for the protection of degenerative diseases. This study supposed that anchovy has certain micronutrients including vitamin E that has beneficial roles for the absorption of Omega-3, and provides a potential resource at the future as constituent materials for natural medicines or functional food through the increase of gene expression of adiponectin that helps blood glucose regulation for diabetes mellitus (DM) patients. For that reason, the specific aim of this study was to measure and assess vitamin E content in oil extract of Anchovy derived from Kendari Sea Waters, Southeast Sulawesi Province-Indonesia. Extraction of Anchovy samples used the Soxhlet method, whereas analysis of vitamin E used the (UV)/Vis spectrophotometric method. Results of the study revealed that 5 gr fresh Engraulis encrasicolus Anchovy resulted in 3 ml fish oil, whereas oil extract of Engraulis encrasicolus Anchovy contains (31,50 µg/g) the
Septiana SI, Puruhita N. Pengaruh Pemberian Ikan Teri (Engraulis encrasicolus) Pada Memori Spasial Tikus Sprague Dawley Usia Satu Bulan. Journal of Nutrition College, 4 (1) :1-9, 2015.
Lozovoy, et al. Fish Oil N-3 Fatty Acids Increase Adiponectin and Decrease Leptin Levels in Patients With Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Journal Marine Drugs.13:1071-1083, 2015.
Nicholson T, Church C, Baker DJ, Jones SW. The Role of Adipokines in skeletal muscle inflammation and insulin sensitivity. Journal of Inflammation,15:9, 2018.
Landrier JF , Gouranton E , El Yazidi C , Malezet C , Balaguer P , Borel P , Amiot MJ. Adiponectin expression is induced by vitamin E via a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-dependent mechanism. Endokrinologi. 150 (12): 5318-25, 2009.
Kuhad A, Chopra K. Tocotrienol attenuates oxidative–nitrosative stress and inflammatory cascade in experimental model of diabetic neuropathy. Neuropharmacology. 57, 456–462, 2009.
Gray B, Swick J, Ronnenberg AG. Vitamin E and adiponectin: proposed mechanism for vitamin E-induced improvement in insulin sensitivity. Nutr Rev. 69(3):155-61, 2011.
Rao JR, Keating DJ, Chen C, Parkington HC. Adiponectin increases insulin content and cell proliferation in MIN6 cells via PPARγ-dependent and PPARγ-independent mechanisms. Diabetes Obes Metab. Nov;14(11):983-9.,2012.
Partina RS, Maulana IT, Dasuki UA. Pengaruh Perbedaan Proses Pengeringan Terhadap Kandungan Asam Lemak Ikan Mujair(Oreochromis Mossambicus Peters).Prosiding Penelitian SpeSia Unisba. Prosiding Farmasi, Vol 1, No 2, 2015.
Campos-Perez W, Torres-Castillo N, Perez-Robles M, Muñoz-Valle JF, Vizmanos-Lamotte B, Martinez-Lopez E. Interaction of Vitamin E Intake and Pro12Ala Polymorphism of PPARG with Adiponectin Levels. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics. 10(5-6):172-180, 2017.
Astapova O, Leff T. Adiponectin and PPARγ: cooperative and interdependent actions of two key regulators of metabolism. Vitam Horm. 90:143-62. 2012.
Shirpoor A, Norouzi L, Nemati S, Ansari MHK. Protective Effect of Vitamin E against Diabetes-Induced Oxidized LDL and Aorta Cell Wall Proliferation in Rat. Iran Biomedical Journal. 19 (2): 117-123, 2015
Böhm V. Vitamin E. Antioxidants (Basel); A review. 7(3): 44. 2018.
Salma WO, Yusuf I, Karo M, Banudi L. The effect of Sea urchin (Diadema setosum) gonad extract on IgM and IgG antibodies production in BALB/c mice infected by Salmonella typhi. Jurnal Gizi Klinik Indonesia. 14(3); 93-98, 2018a,
Salma WO, Wahyuni S, Kadir N, As ad, S, Irawan. The Effect of Sea urchin (Diadema setosum) gonad Extract on gene ekspression of FOXP3 and the production cytokine on Salmonella Typhi – induced Mice. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 8(12); 140-146, 2018b,
Mann Jim and Truswell A Stewart. Essestials of Human Nutrition, Fourth edition, by Oxford University Press, USA. 2012.
Brjekkan OR, Lambertsen G, Yklestad MH. Alpha-Tocopherol in Some Marine Organisms and Fish Oils. ttps://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f674/e10910b5627e19da15d3441f833671c56ed3.pdf.
Suárez-Jiménez GM, López-Saiz CM, Ramírez-GuerraHE,Ezquerra-Brauer JM, -Cruz SR,Torres-Arreola W.Role of Endogenous and Exogenous Tocopherols in the Lipid Stability of Marine Oil Systems: A Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2016
Falk, J. and Bosch, S. M. Tocochromanol functions in plants: antioxidation and beyond. Journal of Experimental Botany . 61 (6), 1549–1566, 2010.
Rimbach, G., Jennifer, M., Patricia, H., and John K.,L. Gene-Regulatory Activity of α-Tocopherol Molecules,15, 1746-1761, 2010.
Sanfilippo M, Reale A, Ziino M, Romeo V, Lembo E, Manganaro A. Chemical Composition and Nutritional Value of Engraulis encrasicolus (Linnaeus, 1758) Caught by Driftnet "Menaide" along Sicilian Coast: a Natural Food for Mediterranean Diet. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences,3 (1): 44-50, 2011.
Colin, FM, McGill, AS, Hardy R, Anderson, RS. The Production of Fish Oils Enriched in Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid-Containing Triglycerides. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society. 70 (2):133-138, 1993.
Kaya Y and Turan H.. Fatty Acids Composition Of Anchovy (Engraulis encrasicolus L. 1758) Oil Produced In Sinop-Turkey. Journal Fisheries Sciences. Com, 2(5): 693-697, 2008.
Gencbay G, & Turhan S. Proximate Composition and Nutritional Profile of The Black Sea Anchovy (Engraulis encrasicholus) Whole Fish , Fillets, and By-Products. Turkey Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. 25(6):864-874, 2016.
Izadi V, Farabad E, Azadbakht L.. Epidemiologic Evidence on Serum Adiponectin Level and Lipid Profile. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 4(2): 133-140 ,2013.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.