Behavior of R.C. Beams with Openings using Different Strengthening Techniques
AbstractAn extensive experimental program was performed to investigate the performance of R.C. beams with opening either strengthened or un- strengthened. A total of 24 specimens were tested on two series to examine the effect of openings on the behavior of RC beams according to the opening shape, aspect ratio and orientation having same area of the opening in shear and flexural zones, also study the effect of the different strengthening methods for the openings on the behavior of RC beams either using internal strengthening such as internal steel reinforcement (I.S.R.), internally embedded fiber reinforced bars, and near surface mounted using FRP laminate (N.S.M.) or using external bonding strengthening (E.B.) such as externally bonded FRP laminates and steel box. All specimens tested under three points loading, the effective span of beams was 1500 mm, also all specimens designed to govern failure in flexure before shear. Based on the experimental evidence, in the 1st series circular openings showed the least reduction in the beam’s load capacity when compared to rectangular and square openings regarding all the openings shapes have the same area. The 2nd series showed the effect of strengthening the openings on the behavior of beams, the use of CFRP externally bonded improves both beam’s strength and ductility but to different extents than any different method of strengthening.
. Tamer El-Maaddawy and Bilal El-Arises, “Behavior of Concrete Beams with Short Shear Span and Web Opening Strengthened in Shear with CFRP Composites” Journal of Composites for construction, ACE, pp47/59, January/ February 2012
. Mansur, M. “Effect of openings on the behavior and strength of R/C beams in shear.” Cem. Concr. Compos., 20(6), 477–486, 1998
. Mansur, M., Tan, K., and Wei,W. “Effects of creating an opening in existing beam.” ACI Struct. J., 96(6), 899–906,1999.
. Ashour, A., and Rishi, G. “Tests of reinforced concrete continuous deep beams with web openings.” ACI Struct. J., 97(3), 418–426, 2000.
. Tan, K., Mansur, M., and Wei, W. “Design of reinforced concrete beams with circular openings.” ACI Struct. J., 98(3), 407–415, 2001.
. Bengi Aykac, Ilker Kalkan, Sabahattin Aykac, Yusuf Emre Egriboz “ Flexural behavior of RC beams with regular square or circular web Openings” Engineering Structure, 56, pp2165- 2174, 2013
. Mansur M A, Lee Y F, Tan K H, Lee S L “Tests on RC continuous beams with openings”. J Struct Eng ASCE; 117:1593–606,1991
. Al-Sheikh S. A.” Flexural Behavior of R.C. Beams with opening. Concrete research letters, 5(2), 812-824.
. Tan KH, Mansur MA. Design procedure for reinforced concrete beams with large web openings. ACI Struct J;93:404–11,1996.
. Morsy, N. Elashkar, & K. Helmy. “A Comparative Study for Shear Strengthening Techniques of Reinforced Concrete Beams Using FRP”. Fourth international conference 4th International Conference on Concrete Repair, 2011 26th-28th September, Dresden, Germany
. Morsy, A., & Mahmoud, E. T.”Bonding techniques for flexural strengthening of R.C. beams using CFRP laminates”. Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 4(3), 369-374, 2011.
. Carolin, A., and Taljsten, B. (2005). “Experimental study of strengthening for increased shear bearing capacity.” J. Compos. Constr., 9(6), 488–496.
. Chaallal, O., Shahawy, M., and Hassan, M.. “Performance of reinforced concrete T-girders strengthened in shear with carbon fiber-reinforced polymer fabric.” ACI Struct. J., 99(3), 335–343, 2002
. Khalifa, A., and Nanni, A.. “Rehabilitation of rectangular simply supported RC beams with shear deficiencies using CFRP composites.” Constr. Build. Mater., 16(3), 135–146,2002.
. H A Abdalla, A M Torkey, H A Haggag, and A F Abu-Amira, “Design Against Cracking at Openings in Reinforced Concrete Beams Strengthened with Composite Sheets”.” Composite Structures, Vol 60, pp 7–204, 2003.
. Martinola, G., Meda, A., Plizzari, G. A., & Rinaldi, Z. “ Strengthening and repair of RC beams with fiber reinforced concrete”. Cement and Concrete Composites, 32(9), 731-739, 2010
. Pimanmas, A. . Strengthening R/C beams with opening by externally installed FRP rods: Behavior and analysis. Composite Structures, 92(8), 1957-1976, 2010.
. A., A., Naganathan, S., K., N., Fayyadh, M. M., & Jamali, S.”. Repair Effectiveness of Damaged RC Beams with Web Opening Using CFRP and Steel Plates”. Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering, 10(2), 163-183, 2010.
. Laura De Lorenzis, Antonio Nanni, “Shear Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Near-Surface Mounted Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Rods”. Structural journal, 2001.
. Barros, J., & Dias, S.” Near surface mounted CFRP laminates for shear strengthening of concrete beams”. Cement and Concrete Composites, 28(3), 276-292, 2010
. Sunder, S., Babu, N., & Paulose, D. “ Experimental Study on Strengthening of Openings in R.C Beams using BFRP Fabric”. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 5(8), 14849-14855, 2016.
. J.A Apeh , O.G Okoli , “Evaluation of Ductility Index of Concrete Beams Reinforced with Rebars Milled from Scrap metals”. Concrete Research Letters, 7(2), 56-68, 2016.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.